Engage students with activities that teach essential, standards-based mathematics and science concepts:
- GEMS Teacher’s Guides®–featuring over 70 supplemental curriculum units for elementary and middle-school classrooms.
- GEMS Kits–Materials kits for each of the GEMS Teacher Guides.
- GEMS Curriculum Sequences–Extended units with a focus on a specific, high-interest topic, addressing a wide-range of standards-based science concepts.
- AfterSchool KidzScience–an engaging, easy to implement out-of-school science program for children in grades 3–5.
- GEMS Professional Development Worksops–GEMS also offers specialized workshops, and maintains an international support network.
- GEMS Home Kits–Home science kits that provide entertaining activities and demonstrate important science concepts.
Each of these programs, as well as the network and workshop activities, is described below:
GEMS Teacher’s Guides
GEMS Teacher’s Guides provide teachers of grades PreK thru 8 with flexible, affordable, stand-alone units that can be used as enhancements for an existing curriculum, or, by combining units, provide a series that delivers comprehensive coverage of a topic. The units feature inquiry-driven activities that engage and excite the interest of students. With over two million books in print the GEMS program is a recognized leader in standards-driven, inquiry-based science and mathematics education.
GEMS Kits provide teachers with a full unit’s materials for a specific GEMS unit, and include a copy of the GEMS Teacher’s Guide. GEMS Kits are available for most GEMS Teacher’s Guides, and are manufactured and marketed exclusively by Carolina Curriculum.
GEMS Curriculum Sequences
GEMS Curriculum Sequences combine the vitality and excellence of GEMS Teacher’s Guides with greater coherence, scientific and educational depth, systematic assessment and new learning technologies. Topics available now are Space Sciences, one each for Grades 3–5 and for Grades 6–8, and Ocean Sciences for Grades 3–5. A Grades 6–8 Ocean Sciences series is in development. These compelling units provide students engaging content addressing a broad range of standards-based science content. GEMS Curriculum Sequences are published and marketed by Carolina Curriculum.
A GEMS series designed to generate interest in science among children during out-of-school time. Published by Developmental Studies Center of Oakland, CA, the program exposes students in grades 3-5 to fundamental science concepts that are key to science standards. Written to be easy-to-implement for any out-of-school leader, series address the topics of physical science, green science, life science, and more.
GEMS Professional Development and the GEMS Network
GEMS provides professional development sessions at Lawrence Hall of Science and at trade shows and other events. GEMS has also built a substantial base of regional leadership through a national network of GEMS Centers and Network Sites closely affiliated with the GEMS Project,
- Contact Karen Milligan or call her at 510-642-1981 for details, or view the schedule of upcoming workshops.
- Find a GEMS Center near you.
Gain deeper knowledge of the GEMS Space Science Sequences (grades 3-5 and 6-8).
Participate in an Advancing Teacher Learning in Space Science (ATLSS) workshop.
Home Science Kits
Purchase home science kits for kids! These kits are based on some of the most popular GEMS activities. Winner of the Oppenheim Platinum Science/Crafts Best Toy Award, and Family Fun Toy of the Year (T.O.Y.) Award. Every kit is designed, tested, and refined for maximum fun and learning potential.